California law prohibits the disposal of "sharps waste" in trash or recycling containers. All sharps waste must be transported to a collection center in an approved sharps container.
Sharps waste poses a threat to anyone it comes into contact with when disposed of improperly.
Home generated sharps waste includes:
Hypodermic needles, pen needles, syringes, lancets, and other devices that are used to penetrate the skin for medical purposes.
Place home-generated sharps waste in biohazard containers. Biohazard containers are available for purchase at several local businesses in Crescent City. You can also order Pre- paid Mail-Back sharps containers. Please contact Del Norte Solid Waste Authority
for more information regarding the correct disposal of sharps at (707)-465-1100.
FDA-approved sharps containers are sold at:
- Crescent Hay & Feed, 160 Elk Valley Road, Crescent City, CA
- Parkway Feed, 1645 Parkway Drive, Crescent City, CA
- Walgreens, 787 L Street, Crescent City, CA
- Wal-Mart, 900 E Washington Blvd., Crescent City, CA
- All Creatures Animal Hospital, 1380 Northcrest Dr., Crescent City, CA
Pre-paid Mail-back sharps containers can be ordered from: